1. Choose what type of rink you should build. Do you want to go the traditional route using a hose and relying on the temperature staying below freezing? Or do you want to choose a synthetic ice rink that can be used all year round? A traditional rink made with water is cheaper initially but requires hours of work to build and maintain and you can't control mother nature. A synthetic ice rink costs you up front but once you set it up it will last for more than a decade. Companies like Synthetic Ice Solutions can build a custom synthetic ice rink to fit your exact needs.
2. Make sure the ground is level. Whether you go natural or synthetic this is an important factor to ensure a quality finished product.
3. Consider the direction of the rink if you plan to use it for hockey games. Keep nets away from any windows of your home to avoid them from getting broken.
4. Do you plan to have boards to surround the rink? If you just rely on snowbanks you face the challenge of finding pucks that are shot into them. Simple 2x4's around the rink will keep pucks that are on the ice within the playing surface but not raised pucks. Suppliers like Synthetic Ice Solutions can also provide professional looking rink boards to surround your rink too.
5. Consider how you can add lighting. Once your rink is ready to go the kids will want to keep skating long after dark, it's smart to consider how you can add lighting to make it safer and more fun in the evening too.
6. Add benches near the rink to make it easier to put on skates and also to take a break.
7. Be sure that kids are supervised at all times.
8. If you decide on synthetic ice, choose a product that is reversible, meaning once you put years and years or wear on one side you can flip the panels over and skate on the other side and have a brand new rink again.
9. Be aware of your neighbors and keep the noise level in mind as it gets later in the evening especially. Your rink will be much more enjoyable if you stay on good terms with all of your neighbors.
10. Invite family, friends and neighbors over for a skate and have fun! In this day and age when kids are connected to their video games for hours on end a great backyard ice rink can be a way for everyone to get some much needed exercise and have lots of fun at the same time. It's also a way for kids and adults to connect.
Wayman Harten is the Owner & President of Synthetic Ice Solutions, Wayman has about 30 years of technical experience in the plastics Industry and is passionate about providing the best artificial ice rinks at very affordable prices. Click on one of the links and read more about synthetic ice or see videos about the product. You can also call us at 855-2-ICE SKATE (855 242-3752) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.